“Inspired by the countryside around your home, character rich Brazilian hickory floors and rough wooden decorative ceiling joists are designed to act as a background for the sleek kitchen they frame. Following simple form, your kitchen features clean, straight lines and simple tones. A hammered stainless steel backsplash reflects light around the space, adding a bit of sparkle. Your kitchen has been strategically designed to accommodate cooks and guests. Work areas, appliances and the dining area all complement and flow into each other, allowing for separate work but not separate conversation. Similarly, the pantry space acts not only as a space for storage, but as a extension of the workspace.”
The Perfect Fit for the Model Client
With every feature specifically fitting the contest criteria
“The centrepiece of this design is the functional and beautiful kitchen island. The final incarnation consists of a white high-gloss frame (Same as the cabinetry) holding a floating quartz surface with one cantilevered side. The challenge was ensuring the frame could hold the weight of the counter while allowing for a visually seamless surface. To solve this, I designed the frame to be built in two sections. The bottom: made from steel beams, fixed to the floor and sheathed in the white frame, and the top: made in a lighter wood frame and attached to the beams in the ceiling (Also sheathed in the which frame).”
Solutions for each of the model customer’s criteria
- Uninterrupted counter space/solid surface counter top material – The bold choice of dramatic quartz countertops is practical for a busy kitchen, boosting stain and scratch resistance, durability and virtually no maintenance.
- Dishwasher/stainless steel – A drawer dishwasher by Fisher Paykel was selected for the kitchen. Both drawers operate separately or simultaneously, perfect for after parties or after breakfast (and the septic tank will also appreciate the reduced water waste!)
- Slide in gas stove/stainless steel – A professional styled Jenn-Air slide-in gas range has been selected with a pot filler above the range, eliminating at least one trip with a heavy pot!
- French door fridge with bottom freezer/fridge in the pantry to have water and ice maker – Along with a built-in fridge in the main kitchen, a secondary fridge (boasting an extra drawer perfect for prepared food) is in the pantry.
- Large island seating 8-10 guests – The most unique feature in the kitchen is the spectacular island. With room for 8-10 guests, its sleek, modern design is the centre of the kitchen.
- Cabinets with clean, simple lines – White high-gloss acrylic base cabinetry acts as sleek frame, anchoring the space. This allows features designed at eye level to take centre stage. The clean lines of the horizontal grain natural cherrywood upper cabinets keeps with the kitchens sleek, modern style.
- Lots of drawers – 6 deep drawers, 7 standard height drawers and 1 tilt down drawer throughout the kitchen and pantry allow for a vast amount of easy-access storage.
- Creative use of upper cabinets/Not afraid of colour but do not want it too trendy that it will look outdated quickly – Colourful, fun and playful inserts are made for the vertical and horizontal open cabinetry, allowing for seasonal customization.
- Storage for garbage and recycling in a cabinet under the counter – A two bin garbage and recycling centre has been placed between the sink and the cooking work areas for easy access.